Monday, February 22, 2010

This Ain' t Your Average Box of Wheaties....

I know...I know...its almost been a month since we've posted last! Wow, February flies by fast, doesn't it?? BUT such a delay does not come without giving me a fabulous idea for this post: how professional should you be as a writer?

Aw..come on, Cyn...I can hear you asking me now...Really? You mean to tell me that you just don't sit down and type out brilliance?? There's actual work involved??

The answer to this question is so simple, it hurts. Yes. Yes there is.

So just how professional do writers have to be? While granted, I see writing as moments of bliss as I create worlds at my fingertips, there is a TON of work involved. Research (always fun when you go to Barnes and Noble to pick up a copy of the Necronamecon!) plays a huge part, as does searching out publishers and planning. As a writer, it is up to you to decide what worlds you want to create, but when those worlds come together, how do you make them real, and most importantly, where are they going to be published all play a crucial role in making the difference between a dabbler (those who write for themselves) and a published writer.

Hence, the reason why this post has been so delayed. We've been working on a combination of things. Promotion for Balefire by writing shorts and submitting them to anthologies/websites. Searching through countless anthologies and polishing up older pieces to send in with the hopes of furthering the name Cynthia Gael. Planning, and plotting, Bloodstone until we've hammered out a brief outline and a starting date to begin writing (March 13). Finally, but just as important, going out to meet with fans at the Local Authors Showcase 2010 held at a local library here in SC.

Just as with anything important, writers must maintain a professional attitude. You can't type out three pages a day and call it quits until tomorrow. You can't sit back and pray to whatever God motivates your existance that your brillance will be recognized and suddenly, you're rich and famous. It takes more than a box of Wheaties to make your work come alive, and recognized - I know. I'm still doing it myself.

Writing is a lot of hard work, that's true. But if its your passion, if its your life, every moment is totally worth it....

No comments:

Post a Comment